Beltangadi: A fire broke out on the roadside near Kapu of Mundaje village on the Mangalore-Villupuram National Highway on Friday evening.
A high tension power line was passed here due to which the sparks spread to the straw and bushes at the base and caused a fire.
Fire brigade, locals Sachin Bhide, Subraya Phadke, Venkateswara Bhat, Vishwanath Bende Iswara Gowda, Gramam members Ganesh Bangera, Jagadish Naik and others brought the fire under control.
There is a river in one part of the fire and a road in the other part. If the fire continues further, there is a possibility of entering the local plantation.There has been a fire incident in this area for three consecutive years. Locals have complained that the concerned department has not cleared the dry grass and undergrowth on its part of the line, which is the cause of the fire.